Friday, December 2, 2011

We called her Truly....

     In writing this blog,  I have tried to stress the importance of making your health your responsibility and not running to the doctor for every little symptom.  I like to encourage the practice of self-diagnosis and healing when you are able to.  However, I have learned that there are times when you have to trust the doctors and let them do what needs to be done to help you.     I had to learn that in a very hard way.
     We all celebrate this time of year by remembering the birth of the Lord Jesus in the manger in Bethlehem.  Our family, however, also celebrates another birth of a special gift that was sent to us a few years ago.  This is Truly's story...
     In the summer of 2007, I had been having some unusual symptoms.  I had been pregnant 3 years in a row and was denying all the signals that were being sent to me.  I had a very unusual vaginal discharge and just chalked it up to the fact that my hormones were messed up from having so many pregnancies in a row.  I finally broke down and took that dreaded pregnancy test. Of course, those familiar pink lines appeared.  It was just before I went to visit family for a little vacation, so I had my cry about it, and then told all of them.  My sister said, "I knew it!" and everyone was very happy and quick to congratulate us on another baby on the way.  When I returned home I called the doctor's office to make an appointment.  I was not looking forward to the hushed conversations of the nurses as they looked at my chart and whispered among themselves.  Nor did I relish the thought of the doctor's questions and concerns.  As "fate" would have it, the doctor was booked and had no free appointments until late September.  Later we would understand that this was part of the Lord's plan.
     As soon as our church family and friends knew of our expected event, we were greeted with the usual comments.  We were encouraged by the favorable compliments and the promises of prayer.  We were humored by those who joked about "Don't you know what causes that?".  We were discouraged by the comments and criticisms by those who frown upon large families and are worried about overpopulation.  When you have a large family, you hear all of these and get used to them.
      By all accounts, things seemed normal, but I knew that something just didn't seem right.  As I waited for that first appointment, we prayed our usual prayers for a safe delivery and healthy baby.  I was in my second year of homeschooling our oldest son and I also had a 3 year old, a 2 year old, and a 1 year old.  Yes, life was extremely busy, never a dull moment, and exhaustion was a constant companion. 
  While visiting my family, I got to go shopping.  While at a thrift store, I found a cheap copy of "Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang" and purchased it. I had remembered watching it as a kid and wanted to share it with my kids.  While sorting laundry one day, I watched it.  One of the characters in the  movie is called "Truly Scrumptious".  As soon as I heard that, I was reminded of the first time I saw the movie as a teenager and I had told my  mom that I wanted to name a baby "Truly".  I knew at that moment, without a doubt, that the baby I was carrying was a girl and that we would name her Truly.
....to be continued....

1 comment: