Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Truly--Part 5

     Being back at home was such a blessing.  Many sacrificed their time and energies to make sure that the kids were well taken care of and I could rest when I needed to.  Our church held its annual Thanksgiving meal and praise service. We were reminded of the blessings of a great church family and the unity that we have through the Holy Spirit.  During the praise service, one lady sang a special that was particularly moving. The words stated: "God is too wise to be mistaken, God is too good to be unkind, So when you don't understand, When you can't see His plan, When you can't trace His hand, Trust His heart."  I wept hearing that precious reminder.  I was so thankful for a God who is so good.
     We spent Thanksgiving Day with Stephen's aunt and uncle and other family members.  We enjoyed the day together and ate a wonderful meal.
     Things were staying stable as far as the pregnancy was concerned.  We had other doctor's appointments, (including the dreaded sugar test that I never pass!) and consultations.  Our options were laid on the table.  We could choose to have a hysterectomy, which would be much safer, or we could request that the doctor's try and save my uterus, but the risks were much higher. So, we went ahead and requested that they do a hysterectomy.  I had always thought that hysterectomy was a wrong choice, but faced with the other option, we felt it was best.
     I had forgottent to mention earlier about our "World Wide Web".  Our 2 humble families have very far reaching influence.  We started receiving cards, messages and phone calls from people all over the country that were praying for us. What a blessing to hear from them and know that others were praying on our behalf.
     The first week of December came.  Our help had dwindled down to a few people and often people would just come and get the kids a take them for the day. I understood.  People had their own lives to lead and needed to tend to their own homes as well.  I felt lost, however.  I needed to be with my kids as much as they needed to be with me.  A stranger is going to be more lenient with discipline.  (My 1 year old learned to say "No" during this period!)  It was a crucial training time. On the morning of December 4, Stephen left the house early in the morning to take the kids to someones  house.  I sat down on the couch and cried.  These last few months had seemed like an eternity.  How could we keep going on like this for another month?  I cried out to the Lord and begged Him to help me make it through this time. 
     I didn't keep a journal of every day events during this time, but I did have a small notebook that I wrote scriptures that spoke to my heart and lyrics of songs that the Lord would bring to my memory.  During this time I wrote out the words to a song I remember listening to as a teen:  "Carry me, carry me, won't You carry me now.  I'm too weak and fragile to walk on my own. I'll rest in Your love 'til once more I can stand To journey beside You and follow You home.  I've heard you, my child, and I'll carry you now. For you're too weak and fragile to walk on your own.Come, rest in My love 'til once more you can stand To journey beside Me and follow Me home."What a comfort music can bring to the troubled soul!
      That evening, we went and picked up the kids.  It was nice to get out of the house and see Christmas lights up.  The kids were excited to tell us about their day and we were happy to see them. After they got to bed, Stephen and I watched a movie that he had borrowed from his mom and dad.  During the movie I kept my eye on the clock as well.  I was having mild contractions at regular intervals.  I took a bath and hoped they would stop as I went to bed.  I prayed that if I needed to go to the hospital the Lord would make that known to me. I woke around 3 a.m. and went to the bathroom. I passed a rather large clot-- danger sign! (The Lord knows me so well!  He knew I wouldn't go unless it was really an emergency! )  I woke Stephen and called an ambulance.  Our neighbor is on the ambulance crew and came right over.  The ambulance arrived, and after taking my vitals we left for our small, local hospital.  When we arrived I was whisked into a room and started medication to try and stop the contractions.  That help a little bit, but we knew I needed to be in Iowa City. Life Flight was considered, but due to inclimate weather we had to go by ambulance (a 2 hour drive reduced considerably by the 80 mph ride!). I was placed in a room right next to the operating room.  Now it was time to wait.  We didn't know how long.  It could be a month or as short as a few hours.  We just didn't know.  I didn't realize it, but all during that day the nurses were prepping me for surgery.  An anesthesiologist discussed matters with me and an extra large "port" was put in my arm all in preparation, just in case.
     After a few hours, I was taken downstairs and they attempted to draw off some of the amniotic fluid to try and relieve the pressure to stop the contractions.  It seemed like they drew out about a gallon, but it didn't make any difference.  Around 7 p.m., I felt a gush of fluid and frantically called the nurse.  I had started hemorrhaging. I was immediately whisked into the operating room.  I looked at Stephen as I was taken away.  I had never seen his face so white.  I can remember laying on the operating table, quoting over and over in my mind: "God is a refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble"  Psalm 46:1.  It was the only time I had ever been under the operating lights that I felt extremely cold.  I was losing a lot of blood.  I started praying that they would put me out soon.
      Meanwhile, Stephen called his mom and dad.  They were in prayer meeting but were listening for the phone.  As soon as they heard about me, they stopped the service and went to prayer.  A leader in the church offered to take over so Dan and Elsie could leave to be with Stephen.
     I am amazed at our mighty God.  It is not just by chance that I started bleeding at 7 p.m. on a Wednesday evening.  Our family "prayer chains", we had learned, were very far reaching.  People all over the world were praying, even during those first hours.  God wanted people praying during that time. That moves me every time I think of it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment