Thursday, August 4, 2011

When someone gets sick..........

     What is the first thing you do when you or someone in your family is coming down with something?  Run to the doctor, or make an appointment? Do you watch what they eat and try to get something healthy in them?  I usually watch for a few days, doing what I know to take care of the symptoms. If it continues longer, I start doing research from my limited library of nutrition books and then do a few searches online. If I start to get concerned, I call my mom.  She is my emergency "dial-a-doctor" when I have run out of ideas. Then, if things are really a concern, I will make an appointment with our doctor.
     I would like to encourage you (and convict you, as I have been convicted!) to turn to another avenue before taking any steps.  As Christians, our obvious first step with any concern should be to turn to our Heavenly Father and ask His will.  Prayer should be the automatic reaction to sickness in our family!  James 5 specifically addresses this area and reminds us that " the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up" (verse 15). So often we turn to our own means and our own ways to take care of our problems, yet, God often sends these problems just to remind us to turn to Him!  It's so simple, yet so easy to forget in the midst of care and concern.
     I have been teaching a teen girls' Sunday School class and we have been studying the names of God. I was excited to find in Exodus 15:26, that God refers to Himself as "I am the LORD that healeth thee".  He has created our bodies, He has given us the ability and the know-how to heal, He is the Great Physician and He knows how best to help us fight the sickness!

No comments:

Post a Comment