Friday, April 5, 2013

Foods that heal: Avocado

     On my journey into new areas of health and healing,  I have found a new favorite food.  I had very seldom eaten avocado in the past.  Occasionally I would have some in a dip or guacamole, but I never considered it health food.  With my new diet that I have been on, I have been encouraged to eat avocado.  So, let's explore the benefits of this fine food!
     At one time, doctors discouraged the consumption of avocados due to their extremely high calorie content. An average avocado contains over 730 calories and packs a huge dose of fat, at 30 grams per serving.  What we are beginning to understand is that these kinds of calories and fat are good for you and your brain!  Remember, your brain is made up of fatty tissue and needs fat to keep it healthy.   Many health conscious  moms are now using avocado regularly in their infants diets because of the super healthy nutrition found in them.
     The fat content in avocados actually helps your body function in a more efficient way. Those who suffer from diabetes related illnesses often  tend to develop high levels of triglycerides, a type of blood fat that may contribute to heart disease.  When you replace bad carbohydrates with good fats, especially those found in avocado, the dangerous fats in your bloodstream tend to decline. Also, the oleic acid found in this fruit  helps to control many of the symptoms of diabetes. In addition, the oleic acid can also help your body get rid of excess cholesterol!
     Avocados are high in potassium, which is great for helping those who suffer from high blood pressure. In fact, one serving of avocado contains about 15% more potassium than a banana!
     One of the tricks in dealing with avocados is determining when they are ripe. When you find them at the grocery store, choose ones that feel very firm, almost hard.  I bring them home and store them in the fridge.  I keep one on the counter until it feels soft underneath the tough, leathery skin.  Then I halve it, take out the pit and the skin peels off very easily. 
     Since I have been trying to include avocado in my diet, I have tried many different recipes to make it palatable, instead of just a chore to eat. I have made many recipes for guacamole and avocado dips, which were good, but who wants to eat dip all the time?  Well I happened upon a recipe for a healthy version of the shamrock shake--of all things!  And the main ingredient? Avocado, of course, to make it a beautiful shade of green, and fill it with all sorts of nutrition.  The added bonus: my kids love it!  I am so pleased to find a good way to use this amazing fruit.  Enjoy!

Healthy Shamrock Shake

Add to blender:
1 3/4 cups milk (I use non-pasteurized, fresh milk. You can also use almond, rice or coconut milk)
1 avocado, peeled and pitted
2 1/2 to 3 Tablespoons raw honey or maple syrup
1 cup ice cubes (I used about 8 cubes)
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon pure peppermint extract ( I used a few drops of peppermint oil)

Combine in blender until smooth. Enjoy!

Variations:  We tried it with orange oil instead of the peppermint.  The result tasted just like an orange dreamsicle (though green!).  I have also added berries or yogurt to make it more like a smoothie.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment