Monday, July 23, 2012

Sore Throat Remedy

     I've been plagued with an extremely sore throat and cough this weekend.  I think sleeping for over 2 months with an air conditioner blowing right on me has contributed to this illness.  My usual remedy for sore throat is to drink hot tea, as hot as I can take it. Well, 100 degree weather just makes drinking hot tea unbearable.  I made some slippery elm and comfrey tea yesterday and drank it on ice.  It didn't soothe much.
     My mom came to the rescue last night with a tea recipe she had read about and recommended to my sister when she had strep for a few weeks.  So, I tried it this morning (after searching for fresh limes in 2 different grocery stores!) and thought I'd share the recipe.  I drank just a small amount so far, but feel much improved already.


     Heat some hot water.  While it is heating take one lime and place it in warm water ( this aids in getting the most juice from the fruit, also works on lemons).  Put 4 teaspoons of honey, 1/4 teaspoon of sea salt and 1 teabag of choice in a glass measure.  When the water is heated (not boiling) pour 1 cup over ingredients and let tea steep. Juice the lime and add to the tea.  Sip throughout the day, do not drink all at once. I poured mine over ice and it has already seemed to help soothe the soreness a lot. 
    Another favorite sore throat remedy is Listerine.  I gargle with it before going to bed and the disinfecting power works very quickly to help it heal. Salt water is another great liquid to gargle with when suffering a sore throat.  Avoiding sugar is also a must. Sugar feeds any infection.  Anytime I am sick and eat any amount of sugar, I immediately get congested and feel worse.  Of course, increasing vitamin C in any form and taking garlic are also great for killing an infection. 
     So, sore throat, beware, I am armed and ready for the battle.  I hope you will be gone soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment