Monday, February 20, 2012

Super Granola



       This past weekend I made a recipe that I had never made before, though I had eaten it many times.  I was rummaging through my recipe box and found "Mom's Granola".  My mom concocted this recipe many years ago and it was the main ingredient at our family breakfast table all my growing up years.  So, I decided to try it out on my kids.  They were more than enthusiastic, and I have already made a second batch because they scarfed down the last one so quickly!
     I called it "Super Granola" for many reasons: it's super easy, super yummy, and super healthy for you!  Your kids will think you are super mom if you make this for them and you'll feel super because it is so much better than store bought cereal.  Here's the recipe:

Preheat oven to 300.  Combine in a large bowl:
               6 cups old fashioned rolled oats
               3/4 cup wheat germ
               1/4 cup sesame seeds
               1 cup walnuts ( I had pecans)
               1/2 cup powdered milk
               1/4 cup flax seed
                1/2 cup flaked coconut
    Then combine in a small saucepan:
                 1/2 cup brown sugar
                 2/3 cup honey
                 1/3 cup butter
                 1/3 cup oil (I used coconut, of course!)
                 2 tbsp water
                 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
Heat on low until just melted.  Don't let it boil or your brown sugar and butter will turn to caramel!
Pour the sugar mixture over the oat mixture and mix well.  Spread onto a greased flat pan.  Bake for 20 minutes, then stir.  Return to the oven for another 15-20 minutes until golden brown and slightly crispy around the edges.  Let cool and then break up with a butter knife and store in a glass jar. Enjoy for breakfast, or any other time as a quick snack!  You can substitute many other grains and nuts.  You can also add raisins, cranberries or other dried fruits, just stir them in after it has baked and cooled.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment